Operation: Household Name

Evolving Artist changing the world one smile at a time.

Thursday, February 12, 2015

An Actor's Rant


I've been training in acting seriously since 2003: SPARC, CFA, ComedySportz, AMDA, LACC, Killian's Commercial Workshop, DFAS, Carnetta's Journey to an Oscar, and Playhouse West (if I forgot anyone I am sorry.) I have over $30,000 in student loans, but I've loved every single minute of it, because if you want to be a great actor, you have to study. So I study.

I've spent countless of dollars on postcards; casting services; headshot printing, uploading, and shoots; business cards; mailings; and a website because those are the tools that will market you to agents and casting directors and they get you the jobs. So I market. 

I was finally brave enough to take a short film script I kept hidden for years and share it with others. I couldn't find a producer to guide me through filmmaking so with a few tidbits from friends and God I stepped up and became my own. I hired a cast and crew of 30 people and together we created a beautiful film, because I've been in LA for 8 years and I came to LA to act. So I made an opportunity to act.
They don't tell you about this stuff on TV. About the time. And the money. And the tears. It's lonely, and terrifying and everyday I wish God would've made me a doctor. Nothing about this business is guaranteed, I've been here for 8 years and still can't even pay my phone bill consistently on acting alone. I could be here another 8 years to no avail... but I've got mama. And I got my heart. And I've got a desire, and when I'm in "it", like really so deep in a character, in a zone... it's God. And I can't, won't stop. And as long as I've got my imagination, God and a keyboard, I'll never be unemployed. I'm an actor, you can keep your "aspiring", I've paid my dues.

No comments: