Operation: Household Name

Evolving Artist changing the world one smile at a time.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

One step for mankind, A giant leap for Shoniqua Shandai

     Today I talked to someone I normally wouldn't have. A young lady stopped me on the street and asked me what profession I was in. She said she "models" and "acts". She wants to get into the industry and is unsure of how to and she wanted a friend. Lmao! Don't we all? Several times I attempted to blow her off and she would not leave me alone.

     Then I thought of Joyce Meyers. My mother was watching a sermon of hers several days ago. At the time it was early in the morning, I was hurriedly getting ready for an audition, as I usually am, and I was in a bad mood. I didn't think I was listening, but apparently my spirit was. Joyce was preaching on humility. Humbling ourselves is so detrimental, but few do it. Who are you to think you're better than anyone? Who decides that what you say is so much more interesting than what anyone could possibly come up with? Others' words are just as important, if not more, than our own.

     This bothersome woman, whom I was failingly trying to escape from, what made her unworthy of my conversation? If this was Beyonce or anyone else I felt could help my career, I'd have gladly stopped mid-step. Forget missing my bus, this person can do something for me!

     I don't want to be an unbalanced being. Talking more than listening. Receiving before giving. Today was a step towards becoming a better Shoniqua. 



     I gave that young black woman my phone number and actually listened. I didn't tune her out, which is my go to. lol I heard her… and in our very brief interaction I gave her the best advice I could think of on the spot, "Go on Lacasting.com, It has everything." lol And even if nothing comes of this. She never calls. She never acts a day in her life. I gave today, what have you done?

No comments: