Operation: Household Name

Evolving Artist changing the world one smile at a time.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Coming soon....

It is fair to say 2011 was lacking in black cinema. As an African American movie goer starving for black faces in great content, Anthony Mackie was not enough. Though he did hold us down in 2011! I am ecstatic to say the year has just begun, yet things are looking up for black cinema! Way up! There's a Denzel film, a young girl's coming of age story, a George Lucas film, a few African American independents, and A Tyler Perry Film... and these are only the releases in January and February! Oooooooooh yeah!

PARIAH 
in theaters NOW!!!

    There's been so much buzz around this film and I was finally able to check it out this past weekend. Now mind you I'd heard about the film for months, but had no idea what it was about, so imagine my surprise when I realized the film was about a young lesbian...
     Dealing with the strain of her parents' already rocky marriage, our 17 year old heroine Alike, played by Adepero Oduye, embraces her developing identity as a lesbian. The story is beautifully told, heart touching with glimpses of humor when needed. As a heterosexual viewer, not once did I feel uncomfortable or find the content too risque. I was able to relate to her story as a developing young person.
     The film is blessed with it's own HOUSEHOLD NAME with Miss Kim Wayans. Known mostly for her hilarious characters in "In Living Color", Miss Wayans fiercely dives in the serious acting waters and comes out shining! Some one has their eyes on an Academy Award and taking roles like this, I'd say it's in the near future...
     Now if that's not enough, one of the producers is Spike Lee... enough said. ! It's a Focus Feature film with limited theater showings, so send a message to the "money" in Hollywood and support the film! Find a theater near you... http://focusfeatures.com/pariah/theatres



REDTAILS
in theaters January 20

I'm so excited to go and see this movie. It's a George Lucas film about the Tuskegee Airmen.... umm sounds good to me. You've got action. It's inspirational. Historical. Moving and empowering for black people. Pluuuuuuusssssssss there's eye candy for days with my future husband Tristan Wilds (Mmmmmmmmm), Terence Howard, Nate Parker, Cuba Gooding Jr (don't deny it, the man is handsome), Ne-Yo and Elijah Kelley (whom I met briefly on New Years and can confidently say is fiiiiiiiiiine in person). Black faces EVERYWHERE!!! Who's going with me to see it? 

Catch the trailer below and a link to the full cast and crew. :) IMDB - Page

 


 DYSFUNCTIONAL FRIENDS
in theaters February 3

       Another heavily casted film... Stacey Dash, Hosea Chanchez, Keith Robinson, Wesley Jonathan, Reagan Gomez-Preston, Meagan Good (LOVE HER), and the super fiiiiiiiiiiiiine Datari Turner. Oh, and the list continues.... There's liable to be at least one actor you like in it, so go see it. lol  I briefly worked with one of the actors, Christian Keyes, catch him in the trailer getting his "Baby Oil" on. :D
       Black writer, black director, black drivers. They are getting it in and I have to support it. The film opens with limited AMC theaters. NEW YORK and LOS ANGELES ONLY!!!! Go see it!



SAFE HOUSE
in theaters February 10

Denzel. Denzel. DENZEL WASHINGTON! Safe House is an action thriller where the rookie CIA Agent (Ryan Reynolds) is in charge of keeping tabs on long time fugitive (Denzel Washington), who once was a member of the CIA himself. Things take a turn for the worse when the Safe House is attacked and it seems like there might be internal corruption involved.... Sounds familiar to me, but are there really any new plots nowadays???? Either way I'll be seeing it. I loooooove action thrillers, you can never go wrong with Denzel, and Ryan Reynolds' body is INSAAAAAAANE!!!! Here's hoping for a slow motion wet suit peel off..... Mmmmmm oh yeah. ;)



EXIT STRATEGY
in theaters February 10

I feel slightly invested in this film, it could be because I've had the pleasure of working with both the lead actor (Jameel Saleem) and producer/actress (Danette Wilson). It's always nice to see someone you know making it happen FOR THEMSELVES.
In the movie, James (SALEEM) gets evicted from his apartment and moves in with his girlfriend of three months Kim (WEATHERS) and quickly discovers she's everything he never wanted in a woman. He enlists best friends Carville (HARRIS), Leona (NOELLE BALFOUR) and strangers BIG BOY and KEVIN HART to find a relationship exit strategy, but for Kim, breaking up just isn't an option.
This film is showing in select theaters so everyone in the PHILADELPHIA AREA GO SEE IT!!! It's showing at the AMC Loews Cherry Hill 24 and AMC Franklin Mills Mall 14. And for everyone else demand it in your cities! DEMAND IT! Support good content and check out the trailer below for this unromantic comedy.... lol I love that!

Link ----> DEMAND IT!



GOOD DEEDS
in theaters February 24

Written, produced, directed by and starring Tyler Perry... HOLD UP!!! Without Madea! However it still seems to fit in the TPS(Tyler Perry Studios) format. A great cast with Thandie Newton, Phylicia Rashad, Brian White, and Gabrielle Union. I'll go see it... this looks pretty good. 



THINK LIKE A MAN
in theaters March 9

I can not wait to see this movie!!!!! I love black romantic comedies and this film is giving me EVERYTHING!!! Taraji P. Henson, Meagan Good (LOOOOOOOVE HER), Terence J's little cute self, and celebrity cameos out the wazoo. lol 
        Gabrielle Union is back to what she does best! I like Gabrielle awkward and uptight, in need of a good man. lol She plays it so well. :D 
         Michael Ealy rugged! :D He's a pretty boy, but he plays gritty so well (Barbershop, Miracle at St. Anna, Their Eyes Were Watching God). I looove me some pretty boys, but I like them manly too. With Ealy you get the best of both worlds, on screen anyway. ;)
       I am sooo in love with Kevin Hart right now. The man is HILARIOUS and adorable. Anything with Kevin Hart in it, I'm already there. He's at the high light of his career, but ummm when are we going to see Kevin in a leading role.... 
I CAN NOT WAIT TO SEE THIS MOVIE!!!!  







No comments: